Saturday, September 25, 2010

When it rains.....

"When it rains, it pours" is a very old saying that has MANY meanings out here on the edge of the world.

Obviously, in a coastal climate at the southern tip of a temperate rain forest, there is the actual, physical RAIN! There is ALOT of rain! (It rains sideways, upside down, in swirls, and, my very favorite, up my skirt while I am trying to get to work!)

Then there is the "everything goes wonkely at the same time" kind of rain. For example, we need a new roof, the deck has dry rot, the fridge died, the dishwasher has started making the most alarming sound, and the microwave....well, you get the idea. Which leads me to wonder, why does everything go all wonkely at once? Is there some rule in life that states that everything MUST become an emergency? Wouldn't it be okay with the Universe if my household could "line up" to break down in a budget friendly manner?

I can see that meeting in my head! The house calls the meeting to order and the minutes are read. Then the roof says, "I am really feeling out of sorts. I move that I will need replacing by September."  and the deck seconds the motion, the house calls for a vote and the motion carries...

Now, before you call for medical intervention, I KNOW the house doesn't understand "Roberts Rules" and YES, there were signs that the roof was going. It's just the whole process of finding the amount of money needed at the time the money is needed. It is very frustrating to worry about money! In fact, I really dislike worrying about money! Money just shouldn't be that important!!! And it isn't, until I need money....

So, my nightly habit for shutting down the "Worries" so I can go to sleep is counting all our Blessings! We HAVE a roof, we HAVE beds, we HAVE appliances (for now), my children go to bed with food in their bellies, we are not cold, we are not threatened, we have education, and freedom and each other and...and...and...and...and...

And in the face of such an abundant list of BLESSINGS, I guess I have no problem with the rain after all. So, "Bring on the rain, I've a smile on my face!" It's all a matter of perspective!


4 comments:

  1. What a sweet and honest post. Keep on keepin' on mama!
    A smile is all we have sometimes.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Aimee! Thank you for stopping by Acorn Pies today and for looking for a crochet coat pattern. I'm excited and have my fingers crossed. Thanks. Where do you live that is tropical, with windy rain blowing sideways and up? love, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, Thank you so much for your comments! I am so new to blogging that I didn't realize you had even been here! LOL
    Beth, we live at the south end of the temperate rain forest in Washington state. The lush green fern is from my oldest sons most recent hike in the "wilds" around our house...
    Thanks for reading ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of the darkness that comes when it rains but I love the calmness that you feel when it's raining. It's hard to describe.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete